Friday, June 20, 2014

Fingerpoppin' Soul in Amsterdam

There's not much that Harry Van Vliet and Hans Diepstraten don't know about soul music. They have been jointly hosting their FingerpoppinSoul radio programme in Amsterdam for 21 years and have now racked up well over 1,000 shows. It was a real treat, therefore, to be invited onto the show as a guest while I was in Holland this week to play some soul 45s and chat about the genre that all three of us love. What's more, it deadened the pain of England being beaten by Uruguay and heading out of
the World Cup, as the match was taking place at the same time, flickering away on a small TV in the corner of the radio studio.
I've met Hans and Harry at the Porretta Soul Festival several times over the last few years and probably also came across them at the much missed Blues Estafette which took place annually in Utrecht for many years. They have met and talked to dozens of soul artists over the years and have an impressive collection of radio station messages from them. But then they are a generous pair of guys, who regularly take a wallet of European picture sleeve 45s by artists appearing at Porretta and present them during the festival - a gesture much appreciated by the artists. I was also treated to their fantastic generosity with a wallet of European picture sleeve records by the likes of Tommy Hunt, Tyrone Davis, Solomon Burke and the Impressions. Great stuff, and much appreciated!
The show I guested on featured half an hour of records picked by Hans and Harry and 90 minutes of 45s that I brought with me, covering Northern soul, the Memphis and New Orleans soul and R&B scene and some 1960s ska and rocksteady. After the show Harry gave me a bumpy ride back to my hotel on the back of his pushbike - an essential mode of transport in Amsterdam. Hey guys - many thanks for inviting me on to your show and for the records. Keep up the good work and hope to see you again in Porretta!
Here's the playlist for the show:
1st half hour: Conrad Benjamin, Thelma Houston, Larry Johnson , The Paragons, Jimmy Scott, Geo. Brooks, Willie Smith & Jesse Hill, Billy Harner, The Howard Lemon Singers
Guest spot by Nick Cobban:
The Invitations - What's wrong with me baby (Stateside)
JJ Barnes - Real humdinger (Ric-Tic).
Harold Hopkins - Ooh baby (Scepter)
Irma Thomas - Zero willpower (RCS)
Roscoe Shelton - Strain on my heart (Sims)
Joe Taylor & the Dominos - You don't love me (HMF)
Winston Francis - Reggae and cry (Coxsone)
The Ethiopians - The whip (Doctor Bird)
The Wrigglers - The cooler (Giant)
Barbara Lynn - Letter to Mommy and Daddy (Jamie)
Otis Redding - Pain in my heart (London)
Gene Chandler - Fool for you (Stateside)
Barbara Mason - Yes I'm ready (London)
Joe Simon - Teenage prayer (London)
James Carr - I'm a fool for you (Stateside)
Betty Harris - Nearer to you (Stateside)
The Heptones - Gunmen coming to town (Rio)
The Jamaicans - Peace and love (Treasure Isle)
The Ovations - It's wonderful to be in love (Goldwax)
Spencer Wiggins - That's how much I love you (Goldwax)
Inez & Charlie Foxx - My momma told me (London)
The Vontastics - Lady love (Moon Shot)

Here's the full show online  http://www.mixcloud.com/fingerpoppinsoulsoulradiofroma/fps-1077-1906-2014-full-show-ft-nick-cobban/
And a couple of photos.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home