Saturday, January 26, 2013

Great double siders - part 3

Here's the last part of my list of great UK double sided 45s (78s in a couple of cases), from the letter P onwards. Only one record per artist as usual - which Elvis single would you choose???

Carl Perkins – Blue Suede Shoes/Honey Don’t (London),
Mary Petti – Hey Lawdy Lawdy/ Gee But It Hurts (RCA),
Wilson Pickett – Mustang Sally/Three Time Loser (Atlantic),
Piltdown Men – McDonalds Cave/Brontosaurus Stomp (Capitol),
Gene Pitney – If I Didn’t Have A Dime/ Only Love Can Break A Heart (United Artists),
Platters – Great Pretender/Only You (Mercury),
Elvis Presley – Hound Dog/ Don’t be Cruel (HMV),
Lloyd Price – Stagger Lee/ You Need Love (HMV),
Marvin Rainwater – Whole Lotta Woman/ Baby Don’t Go (MGM),
Otis Redding – Respect/I’ve Been Loving You Too Long (Atlantic),
Jimmy Reed – Shame Shame Shame/Let’s Get Together (Stateside),
Reparata & the Delrons – Saturday Night Didn’t Happen/ Panic (Bell),
Cliff Richard – High Class Baby/ My Feet Hit the Ground (Columbia),
Rip Chords – Gone/ She Thinks I Still Care (CBS),
Rolling Stones – The Last Time/Play With Fire (Decca),
Rosie & the Originals Angel Baby/Give Me Love (London),
Bobby Rydell – Swingin’ School/ Ding-a-ling (Columbia)
Sam & Dave – I Thank You/Wrap It Up (Stax),
Jack Scott – My True Love/Leroy (London),
Neil Sedaka – Oh Carol/One Way Ticket (RCA),
Del Shannon – Hey Little Girl/You Never Talked About Me (London),
Shirelles – Will You Love me Tomorrow/Boys (Top Rank),
Percy Sledge – Take Time To Know Her/It’s All Wrong But It’s Alright (Atlantic),
Huey Piano Smith & the Clowns – Don’t You Just Know It/High Blood Pressure (Columbia)
Benny Spellman – Lipstick Traces/Fortune Teller (London),
Edwin Starr – Stop Her On Sight/Headline News (Polydor resissue),
Supremes – You Can’t Hurry Love/Put Yourself In My Place (Tamla Motown),
Surfaris – Wipe Out/Surfer Joe (London),
Temptations – My Girl/Nobody But My Baby (Stateside),
Joe Tex – Show Me/Woman Sees A Hard Time (When Her Man Is Gone) (Atlantic),
Them – Baby Please Don’t Go/Gloria (Decca),
Irma Thomas – Wish Someone Would Car/Breakaway (Liberty),
Tippie & the Clovers – My Heart Said/Bossa Nova Baby – (Stateside),
Tommy Tucker – Hi-Heel Sneakers/I Don’t Want Cha (Pye Int),
Conway Twitty – It’s Only Make Believe/I’ll Try (MGM),
Ritchie Valens – Donna/La Bamba (London),
Bobby Vee – Run To Him/Walkin’ With My Angel (London),
Vernons Girls – Lover Please/You Know What I Mean (Decca),
Gene Vincent – Bluejean Bop/Who Slapped John (Capitol),
Dionne Warwick – You’ll Never Get To Heaven/A House Is Not A Home (Pye Int),
Muddy Waters – Walkin’ Blues/Rollin’ Stone Blues (Vogue 78),
Mary Wells – Two Lovers/Operator (Oriole),
Marty Wilde – Bad Boy/It’s Been Nice (Philips),
Hank Williams – Cold Cold Heart/I’m A Long Gone Daddy (MGM 78),
Larry Williams – Dizzy Miss Lizzy/Slow Down (London),
Chuck Willis – What Am I Living For/Hang Up My Rock And Roll Shoes (London),
Jackie Wilson – No Pity (In The Naked City)/I’m So Lonely (Coral),
Kathy Young & the Innocents – A Thousand Stars/Eddie My Darling (Top Rank).

2 Comments:

At 1:29 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great selection Nick. It's only when you start looking at the major artists that you see how good the quality is of the 'B' sides. Most Presley 45's pre '60 flip sides are supremely strong as are the Ricky Nelson, Fats D and Jerry Lee. Glad to see the Mary Petti 45 in there too - such an underrated double-sider. I would like to vote in Don French's 'Lonely Saturday Night' and 'Goldilocks' and Eddie Fontaine's 'Nothing Shakin' and 'Don't Ya Know' both London beauties!

Cheers
John S

 
At 3:35 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great reminder of how many teriffic double siders there were. Obviously very personal, I don't suppose anybody would have the same list.
Nice one Nick.
Cheers
Gordon F

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home