Thursday, January 24, 2013

Great double siders - part 1

I am a lover of 45s and a feature of the late 1950s and 1960s was that there were some fantastic double sided singles issued in the UK during that time. I have started going through the list of those I have in my collection and picked out a few that not only have excellent A sides, but brilliant B sides - often neglected but just as good.
So far I have gone from A to F, so here are the ones that have grabbed my attention so far. I have limited myself to one record per artist (incredibly difficult in the case of people like Fats Domino and Chuck Berry) and I haven't included any which consist of part one and two of the same track. I will continue the list shortly but here are my choices so far (other suggestions are more than welcome):

Arthur Alexander – You Better Move On/Shot of Rhythm & Blues (London),
Hank Ballard – The Continental Walk/ What Is This I See (Parlophone),
Beach Boys – God Only Knows/Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Capitol),
Beatles – Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane (Parlophone),
Brook Benton – Kiddio/The Same One (Mercury),
Rod Bernard – This Should Go On Forever/Pardon Mr Gordon (London),
Chuck Berry – Almost Grown/Little Queenie (London),
James Brown – Out Of Sight/Maybe The Last Time (Philips),
Solomon Burke – Just Out Of Reach/Be Bop Grandma (London),
Johnny Burnette – Dreamin’/Cincinnati Fireball (London),
Freddy Cannon – The Urge/Jump Over (Top Rank),
Clarence Carter – Funky Fever/Slip Away (Atlantic),
Johnny Cash – Ballad Of A Teenage Queen/Big River (London),
Champs – Tequila/Train To Nowhere (London),
Gene Chandler – Rainbow/You Threw A Lucky Punch (Stateside),
Ray Charles – Georgia On My Mind/Carry Me Back To Old Virginny (HMV),
Chubby Checker – Black Cloud/Birdland (Cameo Parkway),
Chiffons – Nobody Knows What’s On (In My Head But Me)/The Real Thing (Stateside),
Patsy Cline – A Poor Man’s Roses (Or A Rich Man’s Gold)/ Walkin’ After Midnight (Brunswick),
Coasters – Searchin’/Young Blood (London),
Eddie Cochran – Three Steps To Heaven/Cut Across Shorty (London),
Contours – Do You Love Me/Move Mr Man (Oriole),
Sam Cooke - Bring It On Home To Me/Having A Party (RCA),
Creedence Clearwater Revival – Proud Mary/Born On The Bayou (Liberty),
Crickets with Buddy Holly – Oh Boy/Not Fade Away (Coral),
Crickets (post Buddy Holly) – I Fought The Law/A Sweet Love (Coral),
Crystals – He’s A Rebel/I Love You Eddie (London),
Bobby Darin – Dream Lover/Bullmoose (London),
Bobby Day – Rockin’Robin/Over And Over (London),
Bo Diddley – Pretty Thing/Road Runner (Pye Int),
Dion – Lovers Who Wander/ (I Was) Born To Cry (HMV),
Dr Feelgood & Interns – Doctor Feelgood/Mister Moonlight (Columbia),
Ernie K-Doe – I Cried My Last Tear/A Certain Girl (London),
Fats Domino – Blueberry Hill/I Can’t Go On (Rosalie) (London),
Lonnie Donegan – Bring A Little Water Sylvie/Dead Or Alive (Pye),
Ral Donner – You Don’t Know What You’ve Got/So Close To Heaven (Parlophone),
Doors – We Could Be So Good Together/The Unknown Soldier (Elektra),
Lee Dorsey – Do Re Mi/People Gonna Talk (Top Rank),
Drifters – This Magic Moment/Baltimore (London),
Bob Dylan – The Times They Are A’Changin’/Honey Just Allow Me One More Chance (CBS),
Duane Eddy – Peter Gunn/Yep (London),
Betty Everett – Getting Mighty Crowded/Chained To A Memory (Fontana),
Everly Brothers – All I Have To Do Is Dream/Claudette (London),
Eddie Floyd – Knock On Wood/Got To Make A Comeback (Atlantic),
Frankie Ford – Sea Cruise/Roberta (London),
Four Seasons – Rag Doll/Silence Is Golden (Philips),
Four Tops – Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever/I Like Everything About You (Tamla Motown),
Inez Foxx – Hurt By Love/Confusion (Sue),
Connie Francis – Stupid Cupid/Carolina Moon (MGM),
Aretha Franklin – I Never Loved A Man/Do Right Woman – Do Right Man (Atlantic),
Bobby Freeman – Do You Want To Dance/Big Fat Woman (London),
Billy Fury – Colette/Baby How I Cried (Decca).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home