Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Number Nines

I'm on to the penultimate list of records that made it into my personal top ten between 1960 and 1965. This time it's the turn of those that made it as high as number nine but no higher. The very good, the rather bad and the rather obscure here.
1960: This Love I Have For You - Lance Fortune; Handy Man - Jimmy Jones; Chatanooga Choo Choo - Ernie Fields; Angela Jones - Michael Cox; Comin' Down With Love - Garry Mills; Shakin' All Over - Johnny Kidd; My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own - Connie Francis; Don't Be Cruel - Bill Black's Combo.
1961: Don't Worry - Billy Fury; Ain't That Just Like A Woman - Fats Domino; Gee Whiz - Carla Thomas; The Great Snowman - Bob Luman; All In My Mind - Maxine Brown (pictured right); African Waltz - Johnny Dankworth; Easy Going Me - Adam Faith; I Told Every Little Star - Linda Scott; Brass Buttons - String-A-Longs; Big Chief Heartbreak - Johnny Preston; Those Oldies But Goodies - Nino & The Ebbtides; Please Stay - Drifters; Don't You Know It - Adam Faith; Should I - String-A-Longs; Let's Twist Again - Chubby Checker (1st entry); Pretty Little Angel Eyes - Curtis Lee; All These Things - Kestrels; Sweets For My Sweet - Drifters; Anybody But Me - Brenda Lee; Tower Of Strength - Gene McDaniels; Heartaches - Marcels; Door Of Paradise - Bobby Rydell; Goodbye Cruel World - James Darren.
1962: Spanish Twist - Bill Haley; Newcastle Twist - Lord Rockingham's XI; Baby It's You - Shirelles; The Party's Over - Lonnie Donegan; It Keeps Right On A'Hurtin' - Johnny Tillotson; Picture Of You - Joe Brown; Adios Amigos - Jim Reeves; Rik-A-Tik - Fireballs; Down In The Valley - Solomon Burke; Itty Bitty Pieces - James Ray; Life's Too Short - Lafayettes (pictured above); She's Gone - Buddy Knox; Pick A Bale Of Cotton - Lonnie Donegan; Your Tender Look - Joe Brown; You're Much Too Young - Jimmy Jones; Welcome Home Mr Blues - Hank Lochlin; What Kind of Love - Joey Dee; Limbo Rock - Chubby Checker; Hully Gully Baby - Dovells; Copycat - Gary (US) Bonds; I Keep Forgetting - Chuck Jackson; Lonely Bull - Tijuana Brass.
1963: All Alone Am I - Brenda Lee; Mixed Up Faculty - Gary (US) Bonds; The Jealous Kind - Clarence Frogman Henry; Half Heaven Half Heartache - Gene Pitney; You're The Reason I'm Living - Bobby Darin; Leavin' On Your Mind - Patsy Cline; Tell Him I'm Not Home - Chuck Jackson; Mecca - Gene Pitney; If Mary's There - Brian Hyland; Let's Go Steady Again - Neil Sedaka; Ask Me - Maxine Brown; Bo Diddley - Buddy Holly; Get Him - Exciters; Just One Look - Doris Troy; Dance Dance Dance - Joey Dee; Don't Cha Know - Lockets.
1964: Monkey Diddle - Bo Diddley; Who Cares - Fats Domino; It's Over - Roy Orbison; Ask Me - Inez Foxx; Wish Someone Would Care - Irma Thomas (pictured right); It Hurts Me - Elvis Presley; Ferris Wheel - Everly Brothers; Dang Me - Roger Miller; Mercy Mercy - Don Covay; Gone Gone Gone - Everly Brothers.
1965: Back In My Arms Again - Supremes; Last Chance To Turn Around - Gene Pitney; It's The Same Old Song - Four Tops; I Found A Girl - Jan & Dean; Let's Hang On - 4 Seasons; Don't Have To Shop Around - Mad Lads.

2 Comments:

At 10:27 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some fine no.9's there Nick. I've followed your liking for Garry Mills in the early das (though I think you have 'Comin' Down With Love' abit low at 9 as is probably better than the Mel Gadson original? Certainly faster and rockier anyway.
The 1962 list made me dig up a few that I haven't played for a while and some I played a couple of nights ago. I haven't heard She's Gone' by Buddy Knox for ages and gave it a spin - still a classy record, despite Snuff Garrett's strings, also Itty Bitty Peices by James Ray. I listened to 'Life's To Short' (and 'Caravan of Lonely Men') a couple of nights ago as have been chatting with Frank Bonnarigo from the Lafayettes on Facebook. I keep wondering when a promoter is going to bring him over to play a weekender. I guess the most suitable would be the Rhythm Riot?
Looking forward to seeing no.10's, yet a little sad that this series is coming to an end.
see you soon [baboon]
John S

 
At 8:30 pm , Blogger Nick said...

Yes some good ones here - often they only reached a low position because they got very little radio coverage at the time, so I maybe heard the record once or twice (and obviously couldn't afford to buy them - at 6s 4d a time!). I don't think I ever heard the Mel Gadson original back in 1960, because UK cover versions got far more airplay. Lafayettes for Rhythm Riot? Great idea.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home