Monday, January 02, 2012

Soul B sides - Part Two

Vinyl Word reader and fellow Woodie John 'Soulboy' Jolliffe has followed up on the recent item on Soul B sides (November 17, 2011) with a new much expanded list. There are some real crackers here. Here's what he said:
'Just when you thought this game had disappeared, it's back. As I have thousands of singles, this has taken me a while to compile. These b sides over the years have regularly graced my many turntables. I think you will find it hard not to agree that these are one hundred amazing chunks of SOUL, plus a couple of intruders.'
Arthur Alexander - A shot of rhythm and blues (B side of You better move on) London
Kip Anderson - Take it like a man (B side of A knife and fork) Checker
Bessie Banks - Try to leave me if you can (B side of Baby you sure know how to get to me) Contempo
Reuben Bell - Asking for the truth ( B side of I still have to say goodbye) Contempo
Blue Magic - When ya coming home (B side of Love has found its way to me) Atlantic
Homer Banks - Lady of stone (B side of Hooked by love) U Artists
Bobby Bland - St Jame's infirmary (B side of Don't cry no more) Vocalion
Bill Brandon - Tag Tag (B side of The streets got my lady) Piedont
Solomon Burke - Stupidity (B side of Can't nobody love you) Atlantic
Jerry Butler - Giving up on love (B side of I've been trying) Stateside
James Brown - Maybe the last time (B side of Out of sight) Philips
Don Covey - Watching the late late show (B side of Sookie sookie) Atlantic
Tony Clarke - The entertainer (B side of Landslide) Chess
Otis Clay - Trying to live my life without you (B side of Let me be the one) Hi
Sam Cooke - A change is gonna come (B side of Shake) RCA
Gene Chandler - Everybody lets dance (B side of You cant hurt me no more) Stateside
Rose Davis - Kiss tomorrow goodbye (B side of That's enough) Excello
Geater Davis - You made your bed hard (B side of Your heart is so cold) Seventy Seven
Tyrone Davis - A woman needs to be loved (B side of Can I change my mind) Dakar
Lamont Dozier - We don't want nobody to come between us (B Side of Trying to hold onto my woman) Probe
Sam Dees - My World (B side of Say yeah) Polydor
Dells - Long lonely nights (B side of A little understanding) Cadet
John Edwards - Claim jumpin (B side of Messing up a good thing) Aware
Yvonne Fair - Walk out the door if you want to (B side of Its bad for me to see you) Tamla Motown
Five Stairsteps - Little young lover (B side of We must be in love) Curtom
Facts Of Life - Love is the final truth (B side of Sometimes) Kayvette
Carol Fran - One look at your daddy (B side of Emmitt Lee) Excello
Owen Grey - Incense (B side of Help Me) Island
Barbara Hall - You brought it on yourself (B side of Drop my heart off at your door) Innovation
Eddie Holland - Take a chance on me (B side of Jamie) Motown
Honey Cone - Stick up (B side of One monkey don't stop no show) Hot wax
Floyd Henley - Unchained melody (B side of Believe in me) Kas-mo
Jimmy Hughes - Its a good thing (B side of Neighbor Neighbour) Atlantic
Willie 'Little Beaver' Hale - Party time (B side of Groove on) TK
Holland and Dozier - Don't leave me (B side of Why cant we be lovers) Invictus
Big John Hamilton - The train (B side of Big bad john) Minaret
Z Z Hill - Have mercy someone (B side of Someone to love me) R&B
Z Z Hill - Don't make me pay for his mistakes (B side of Think People) Hill
Willie Hobbs - Judge of hearts (B side of Tomorrow (Ill begin to make my plans) Sound Plus
Impressions - Ive been trying (B side to People get ready) HMV
Impressions - Ive found that i lost (B side to Meeting over yonder) HMV
J J Jackson - But its alright (B side of Do the boogaloo) Polydor
Chuck Jackson - I keep forgettin' (B side of Chains of love) Pye
Etta James - Id rather go blind (B side of Tell Mama) Chess
Walter Jackson - They don't give medals (to yesterdays heroes) (B side of Speak her name) Columbia
Knight Brothers - Temptation bout to get me (B side of Sinking low) Chess
Little Luther - Twirl (B side of Eenie meenie minie mo) Pye
Jackie Lee - Let Your conscience be your guide (B side of The duck) Fontana
Shorty Long - When you are available (B side of A whiter shade of pale) Soul
Curtis Lee - Under the moon of love (B side of Beverly Jean) London
Jackie Moore - The bridge that lies between us (B side of Its harder to leave) Kayvette
Milt Matthews - Stop that train (B side of This is my song) H&L
Garnett Mimms - It wont hurt (half as much) (B side of My baby) U Artists
Johnny Moore - Lonely heart in the city (B side of That's what you said) Blue Rock
Clyde McPhatter - I'm not going to work today (B side of A shot of rhythm and blues) Stateside
Freddie North - Did I come back to soon (B side of You and me together forever) Mankind
Notations - I'm losing (B side of Think before you stop) Gemigo
Notations - Since you've been gone (B side of Its alright (this feeling)) Gemigo
Olympics - Secret agents (B side of We go together) Fontana
One way - Together forever (B side of Shine on me) MCA
Wilson Pickett - Thee times loser (B side of Mustang Sally) Atlantic
Bobby Patterson - I got a suspicion (B side of Right place, wrong time) All Platinum
Jean Plum - You ask me (B side of Pour on the loving) Hi
Quiet Elegance - You've got my mind messed up (B side of I need love) Hi
Martha/Vandellas - Quicksand (B side of Dancing in the street) Tamla Motown
Alvin Robinson - Down home girl (B side of Fever) Red Bird ??
Otis Redding - That's how strong my love is (B side of Mr pitiful) Atlantic
Little Royal - Soul train (B side of I surrender) Tritus
Soul Clan - That's how I feel (B side of Soul meeting) Atlantic
Bettye Swann - Strong enough to hold on (B side of Heading in the right direction) Atlantic
Bunny Sigler - Picture us (B side of Tossin & Turnin) Epic
Nolan Struck - Welfare problems (B side of Shes the one that hits the spot) Inner City
Hodges James and Smith - Off (B side of Situation) London
Shirelles - I didn't mean to hurt you (B side of Don't say goodnight and mean goodbye) Stateside
Showmen - Country fool (B side of It will stand) Imperial
Jimmy Soul - My girl - she sure can cook (B side of A woman is smarter in every kinda way) Spqr
Joe Simon - San Francisco is a lonely town (B side of Its hard to get along) Sound Stag 7
Willie Tee - Walking up a one way street (B side of Thank you John) Atlantic
Jamo Thomas - Snake hip mama (B side of I spy ( for the fbi) Polydor
Little Johnny Truitt - Don't let me be a crying man (B side of There goes the girl) Abet
Kim Tolliver - Let them talk (B side of Ill try to do better) Rojac
Ted Taylor - Singing man (B side of Cant take no more) Ronn
Irma Thomas - Time is on my side (B side of Anyone who knows what love is) Liberty
Oscar Toney Jnr - Make it easy on yourself (B side of Is it because I'm black) Contempo
Oscar Toney Jrn - A love that never grows cold (B side of Without love (there is nothing) Bell
Tams - You lied to your daddy (B side of It's all right (your just in love)) HMV
Little Johnny Taylor - Somewhere down the line (B side of Part time love) Vocalion
Sammy Turner - Raincoat in the river (B side of Falling) Big Top
Ujima - Still hooked on you (B side of Keep on rolling (disco train)) Chelsea
Billy Vera Judy Clay - Reaching for the moon (B side of Tell it like it is) Atlantic
Curtis Womack - Last date (B side of Boogie woogie Jones) Playboy
Amazing Charlie Whitehead - I was dancing when I fell in love (B side of I finally found myself something to sing about) Atomic
Ron Walton - Always be the one (B side of Soul disco) Gull
Spencer Wiggins - Soul city USA (B side of I never loved a woman (the way I love you) Stateside
Betty Wright - Tonight is the night (B side of Shorah shorah) Alston
Bobby Womack - I'm through trying to prove my love to you (B side of Nobody wants you when your down and out) United Artist
Anita Ward - Spoiled by your love (B side of Don't drop my love)
O V Wright - I'm gonna forget about you (B side of Drowning on dry land) Back Beat
O V Wright - I was born all over (B side of When you took your love from me) Back Beat

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home