Thursday, November 17, 2011

Soul B sides

Vinyl Word reader Dave Carroll has been asking some of his soul-loving friends (JJ (alias Soulboy), his brother Rod and myself) to suggest the best soul B sides they can think of. Here are the suggestions so far (and there are some great ones here, with UK labels where known, otherwise US):
Johnny Adams - If I Could See You One More Time (A side: Reconsider Me) Polydor
Oscar Toney Jr. - A Love That Never Grows Cold (A side: Without Love There Is Nothing) Bell
Bunny Sigler - Somebody Free (A side: Keep Smilin') Philadelphia International
Gene McDaniels - Another Tear Falls (A side: Chip Chip) Liberty
Esther Phillips - I Saw Me (A side: Let me Know When It's Over) Atlantic
Freddie North - Are You Thinking Of Him (When You're Loving Me) (A side: Roll Over (Play Like Our Love Ain't Dead)) Mankind
Vernon Garrett - Stranger In My Bed (Tonight) (A side: Johnny Walker Red) Glow Hill
Big John Hamilton - The Train (A side: Big Bad John) Minaret
Bettye Swann - Today I Started Loving You Again (A side: I'd Rather Go Blind) Atlantic
Lady Margo - Stop By (A side: Simply Got To Make It) Cynthia
Arthur Alexander - A shot of rhythm and blues (A side You Better Move On) London
Solomon Burke - Stupidity (A side: Cant Nobody Love You) London
Barbara Hall - Drop My Heart off at the Door (A side: You brought it on yourself) EMI
Barbara Lynn - Unfair (A side: Oh! Baby (We got a good thing Goin') London
Irma Thomas -True True Love (A side: He's My Guy) Liberty
Sam Cooke - A change is gonna come (A side: Shake) RCA
Otis Redding - I've been loving you too long (A side: Respect) Atlantic
Sam and Dave - Wrap it up (A side: I thank you) Stax
Irma Thomas - Wish Someone Would Care (A side: Breakaway) Liberty
Irma Thomas - Time Is On My Side (A side: Anyone Who Knows What Love Is) Liberty

Other suggestions welcome. Incidentally, one of the best music blogs around is Red Kelly's The B Side http://www.redkelly.blogspot.com/ Well worth a look.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home