Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Vinyl Word reaches 500

This is my 500th entry since first starting The Vinyl Word in January 2006. I hope it's been of interest to a few people over the years. I know that I am not alone in loving the music of the late 1950s and 1960s - particularly rock and roll, soul, blues, American pop and ska - and I know there are many vinyl collectors - like me - with rooms stuffed with old LPs, EPs and singles. As readers may know, I kept a personal top ten for nearly six years from spring 1960 to December 1965. This era marked the transition from the rock and roll boom of the late Fifties, through the rather tamer post rock and roll phase to the sounds of the Sixties and the emergence of soul, British beat bands and blues. To mark the 500th entry I've chosen my favourite records that made it into my top ten. It's an impossible choice, as there are so many great records that I have missed out, but I've whittled down the original 918 to just 80, so here goes (in chronological order): 1. Jimmy Jones - Handy man; 2. Marv Johnson - I love the way you love; 3. Sam Cooke - Wonderful world; 4. Ron Holden - Love you so; 5. Roy Orbison - Only the lonely; 6. Fats Domino - Walking to New Orleans; 7. Jackie Wilson - A woman, a lover, a friend; 8. Shirley and Lee - Let the good times roll; 9. Rosie and the Originals - Angel baby; 10. Miracles - Shop around; 11. Chimes - Once in a while; 12. Carla Thomas - Gee whiz; 13. Maxine Brown - All in my mind; 14. Ernie K-Doe - Mother in law; 15. Jerry Lee Lewis - What'd I say; 16. Eddie Cochran - Weekend; 17. Roy Orbison - Cryin'; 18. Chris Kenner - I like it like that; 19. Dion - Runaround Sue; 20. Elvis Presley - His latest flame; 21. Marvelettes - Please Mr Postman; 22. Showmen - It will stand; 23. Shirelles - Baby it's you; 24. Lee Dorsey - Do re mi; 25. Bruce Channel - Hey baby; 26. Barbara George - I know; 27. Don and Juan - What's your name; 28. Ben E King - Don't play that song; 29. Clyde McPhatter - Lover please; 30. Freddy Cannon - Palisades Park; 31. Benny Spellman - Lipstick traces; 32. Solomon Burke - Down in the valley; 33. Booker T and the MGs - Green onions; 34. Sam Cooke - Nothing can change this love; 35. Crystals - He's a rebel; 36. Exciters - Tell him; 37. Miracles - You really got a hold on me; 38. Chiffons - He's so fine; 39. Beach Boys - Surfin' USA; 40. Rivingtons - Bird's the word; 41. Jan and Dean - Surf City; 42. Doris Troy - Just one look; 43. Major Lance - Monkey time; 44. Bo Diddley - Pretty thing; 45. Chuck Berry - Let it rock; 46. Rufus Thomas - Walking the dog; 47. Impressions - It's all right; 48. Ronettes - Baby I love you; 49. Marvin Gaye - Can I get a witness; 50. Kingsmen - Louie Louie; 51. Tams - What kind of fool; 52. Rivieras - California sun; 53. Betty Everett - Shoop shoop song; 54. Mary Wells - My guy; 55. Irma Thomas - Wish someone would care; 56. Arthur Alexander - Black night; 57. Beach Boys - I get around; 58. Brenda Holloway - Every little bit hurts; 59. Bobby Bland - Ain't nothing you can do; 60. Gene Chandler - Just be true; 61. James Brown - Out of sight; 62. Shangri-Las - Remember (Walking in the sand); 63. Don Covay - Mercy mercy; 64. Martha and the Vandellas - Dancing in the street; 65. Chuck Jackson - Any day now; 66. Velvelettes - Needle in a haystack; 67. Little Antony & the Imperials - Going out of my head; 68. Righteous Brothers - You've lost that loving feeling; 69. Sam Cooke - Shake; 70. Joe Tex - Hold what you've got; 71. Temptations - My girl; 72. Radiants - Voice your choice; 73. Otis Redding - Mr Pitiful; 74. Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs - Woolly Bully; 75. Otis Redding - I've been loving you too long; 76. Gene Chandler - Nothing can stop me; 77. Ovations - It's wonderful to be in love: 78. Wilson Pickett - In the midnight hour; 79. Roy Head - Treat her right; 80. O V Wright - You're gonna make me cry. Several of the artists who had many entries in my top ten didn't make the list. They include the Everly Brothers, Del Shannon, Bobby Vee, Neil Sedaka, Johnny Burnette, Bobby Darin, Johnny and the Hurricanes, Buddy Holly and Ricky Nelson. I love them all, but I can't include everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home