Friday, March 12, 2010

Thinking about N'Awlins

As my US trip gets closer I am starting to think about what I will do this time that is different from past trips. I will no doubt go to the festivals in Lafayette, Baton Rouge (which I haven't been to before) and of course Jazzfest in New Orleans. But I have been looking into genuine blues juke joints and there are one or two that may be worth a visit. There are also gigs in New Orleans outside of Jazzfest - for example Irma Thomas will be doing some evening gigs and Dave Alvin is at the Rock and Bowl. It's still early, so complete listings are not available, but I will keep looking.
Meanwhile, there's an updated list of acts at Porretta which, as ever, is quite different from the earlier list. The new one still still has Candi Staton (pictured) headlining, with Clay Hammond also on the bill, but there are some additions, including the Green Brothers (Al and Bobby, who were the last act to be signed to Stax), Thelma Jones and Lavelle White. Not sure if I will be able to go but it looks pretty good.
I've been watching Can Blue Men Play the Whites on BBC4 tonight as the channel again celebrates the 60s blues boom in the UK. Some great footage, including Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and many others, which brings back great memories of a fantastic era.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home