Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Set lists at Porretta

Dave Carroll has put together a list of songs perfomed by some of the acts at Porretta (thanks Dave). So here, for the benefit of those who couldn't make it (and those who could) is his list:
Spencer Wiggins. Saturday: The Kind Of Woman, That's Got No Heart; Take Me Just As I Am; Old Friend (You Asked Me If I Miss Her); Uptight Good Woman; Don't Put No Headstone On My Grave; Key To The Kingdom; Title unknown (a gospel song). Sunday: Title unknown (a different gospel song); Uptight Good Woman
Percy Wiggins. Friday: Let's Stay Together; It Didn't Take Much (For Me To Fall In Love); Book Of Memories; Can't Find Nobody (To Take Your Place); Perfect Gentleman; Sam Cooke medley (Cupid, Wonderful World, Having A Party, Bring It On Home To Me, Cupid). Sunday: Book Of Memories; Can't Find Nobody (To Take Your Place).
J Blackfoot. Saturday: 634-5789; I'm In Love; I Stood On The Sidewalk & I'll Understand (snippets with just Thomas Bingham playing); Hearsay; Soul Man; You Don't Know Like I Know; Who's Making Love; Taxi; I Can't Turn You Loose. Sunday: Soul Man; Taxi.
Oscar Toney Jr. Friday: I Can't Turn You Loose; Dock Of The Bay; Any Day Now; Dark End Of The Street; Mr Pitiful; For Your Precious Love; For The Good Times. Sunday: For Your Precious Love; Dark End Of The Street; Mr Pitiful (all 3 above he started but did not finish); For The Good Times.
Toni Green. Saturday: Title not identified; Dr Feelgood; I Can't Stand The Rain; A Change Is Gonna Come (segued into another song); I Say A Little Prayer; At Last. Sunday: Tell Mama (or perhaps she calls it Tell Toni?); Hold On; Breaking Up Somebody's Home.

4 Comments:

At 5:32 pm , Blogger Entre les Oreilles said...

A couple of corrections:
Spencer Wiggins.
Saturday: You're My Kind Of Woman; Take Me Just As I Am; Old Friend (You Asked Me If I Miss Her); Uptight Good Woman; Don't Put No Headstone On My Grave; Key To The Kingdom; Title unknown (a gospel song).
Sunday: Inner City Blues (with churchy lyrics); Uptight Good Woman


Toni Green.
Saturday: Soulville (Dinah Washington / Aretha Franklin); Dr Feelgood; Breaking Up Somebody's Home; A Change Is Gonna Come (segued into The Man in the Mirror, the Michael Jackson song); I Say A Little Prayer; At Last.
Sunday: Tell Mama ; Hold On; Breaking Up Somebody's Home.

 
At 2:35 pm , Blogger Entre les Oreilles said...

The rest of the setlists:

Vaneese Thomas
Friday: Use Me / What's Going On / I Can't Stand the Rain / Nutbush City Limits / A Woman's Love / Soulfull Dress / A blues she wrote for Rufus Thomas / The Break Down / Respect Yourself
Sunday: Gee Wheez / Respect

Bobby Johnson
Friday: Signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours / How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You / If You Don't Know Me By Now / I Can See Clearly Now / Cold Sweat
Sunday: Hold On I'm Coming / Sweet Soul Music

Solomon Burke
Saturday:
Three songs from his upcoming album recorded in Memphis with Willie Mitchell / Cry To Me / Soul Searching / The More / Medley with Dock of the Bay, Fa Fa Fa Fa, Stand By Me / Down in the Valley / Tonight's the Night / I Can't Stop Loving You / Don't Give Up On Me / I Want to Go Home / Proud Mary (with Irene Fornaciari) / Medley with Good Golly Miss Molly, Tutti Frutti / What a Wonderful World / Everybody Needs Somebody/ When the Saints Go Marching In

CIV
Sunday:
Respect / Shake Your Tailfeather / Lean On Me / Medley: Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, Can't Turn You Loose, Soul Fingers, Soul Man / When Something Is Wrong With My Baby / Satisfaction / Chain Of Fools / Rufus Thomas's Back In Town / Knock On Wood / 634 5789

Sunday's Finale (everybody except Solomon Burke):
634 5789

Sunday's Encore (Bobby Johnson):
Them Changes

 
At 8:37 pm , Blogger Nick said...

Thanks for the completed lists - much appreciated.

 
At 8:04 pm , Blogger Dave C said...

Thanks to ‘Entre les Oreilles’ for the additional information. After further research I would make the following comments:
1 The first song by Spencer Wiggins. Although I do not know the song ‘You’re My Kind Of Woman’ (one side of a 1973 XL single), unless it is the same song as ‘The Kind Of Woman, That’s Got No Heart (one side of a 1966 Goldwax single), I still believe that it was the latter which he performed, as he clearly sang the words ‘You’re the kind of woman that’s got no heart’.
2 Vaneese Thomas. According to my notes Vaneese’s first song on the Friday was ‘I Can’t Stand The Rain’. ‘Use Me’ and ‘What’s Going On’ were sung by the support band Soul Spinner before Vaneese came on stage.
3 I have since learned that Spencer Wiggins’ final song on Saturday was ‘Something Within Me’, a gospel song written by Lucie Campbell.
4 I have also noticed that when I typed out the Sam Cooke medley performed by Percy Wiggins on the Friday, I omitted ‘Chain Gang’ which preceded ‘Wonderful World’.
Hopefully, apart from the one missing Vaneese Thomas song, we have now combined to produce an accurate record of each artist’s set list at Porretta.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home