Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Beat mining

Apparently I'm a beat miner. It's not a phrase I've ever heard before, but according to a BBC Radio 4 programme the other night my habit of scouring boot sales and charity shops for collectable vinyl records is known as 'beat mining' in certain quarters: namely a particular type of vinyl collector whose main aim is to find old records that can be 'mined' and sampled in new recordings. To be fair, the programme covered other aspects of collecting, such as the search in the US for rare Northern soul records. But the main thrust of the programme was the beat mining angle. To quote from the on line description: "Broadcaster Toby Amies digs into the archives to discover the value and significance of old vinyl. He uncovers a network of dealers and buyers, supplying a community of 'crate diggers' and 'beat miners' and a world in which samples from records bought for a few pence in a car boot sale can provide the basis for a million-selling hit."
As a vinyl addict I'm only too aware that the glory days are over - there are just too many collectors and dealers hunting for a shrinking number of vinyl classics - but the programme did at least throw some light on some of the people who have managed to make a business out of digging for vinyl and sampling. For me though, the thrill is in finding a rare piece of vinyl, be it 45, EP or LP, that I can add to my collection, or maybe sell on eBay, that costs me a fraction of the going rate. As the weather improves a new season is about to start and I look forward to the adrenalin rush that comes from stumbling over a choice item or two - and beating the opposition!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home