Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Otis to star in O V tribute

This month is my jet set month. I've just returned from a short trip to Johannesburg, holding a media workshop for my African colleagues. On the 18th I'm off to San Francisco - a city I've never been to before - for a week's holiday. I will be looking out for good music and would appreciate any suggestions for clubs or bars to visit. Then on November 1st I'm off to Jo'burg again, en route to Madagascar. I'm going with a group a journalists to Rio Tinto's new mine in Fort Dauphin, and then on to Palabora in South Africa, finishing off at the Rossing uranium mine in Namibia.
When I get back I probably won't go anywhere interesting for a while as the BHP bid is reaching its climax. But I wish I could be in Memphis on November 15th when there's a tribute night to O V Wright at the Ground Zero Blues Club. Performing is one my favourite soul singers Otis Clay, backed by the Hi Rhythm Section. Apparently the appeal to raise funds for O V's headstone has more than met expectations and the following day his widow will dedicate the stone to the great man's memory. It will be 28 years to the day since Overton Vertis Wright died at the tragically young age of 41. One of the true soul greats, without a doubt. But if anyone can claim to be the heir to O V it must be Otis Clay. When will he come to the UK again? Soon I hope.
O V is just one of many great artists featured on Ace Records' new 3 CD release Take Me to the River: A Southern Soul Story 1961 - 1977. Nearly all of the 75 tracks were cut at the Broadway Sound/Quinvy, Royal, Stax and Muscle Shoals studios and it looks like a brilliant selection: definitely one to buy - even for a vinyl collector like myself.

1 Comments:

At 9:14 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun. See you when you get back!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home