Monday, October 27, 2008

Dee Dee and Rudy Ray


Two more artists have passed away, neither of whose deaths I have seen noted to date, but I may have missed them as I was away.

Dee Dee Warwick was just 63 and as the sister of Dionne, niece of Cissy Houston and cousin of Whitney Houston she was truly soul aristocracy. She recorded a string of excellent soul 45s in the 60s and early 70s, the best known being I'm Gonna Make You Love me. written by Gamble and Huff. She was also a two time Grammy nominee for Foolish Fool and She Didn't Know. Her most succesaful recording was a powerful version of the song, I Want To Be With You from the Broadway show, Golden Boy. Check this YouTube clip http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UuVBNNxSrLs

Also dead, at the age of 81 (unbelievable in itself - he looked at least 20 years younger), was the foul mouthed singer/comedian Rudy Ray Moore, also known as Dolemite and Blowfly. Those who saw him at the Ponderosa Stomp at the Rock and Bowl a few years ago may recall that his sexist material was booed by some of the audience - me included - but he enjoyed considerable success. He began his career as an R and B singer in 1959 but found fame as the pimp Dolemite in the film of the same name in 1975, and never looked back. I remember buying a couple of his blue LPs at a roadside boot sale in Memphis but they were not really to my taste and I sold them on eBay.

I am still kicking myself for missing the New Orleans shows at the O2, not to mention Tommy Brown. Still, I intend seeing Jerry Lee at the Forum tomorrow so all is not lost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home