Saturday, March 01, 2008

Mike Smith RIP

If any group summed up the sterility of the sixties UK beat scene it was the Dave Clark Five. The band enjoyed enormous success both in the UK and across the world yet they never for a moment displayed originality or creativity. Yet as a Crystal Palace supporter I can't dismiss them altogether. Back in the 60s when I went to home matches regularly they adopted Glad All Over as their anthem. And although I no longer go to Selhurst Park (too bloody far and out of the way) it seems that they still play the record when the team takes the field. So, despite my reservations about the band as a whole, I raise a glass to Mike Smith, vocalist and keyboardist who died the other day. As a Palace supporter through thick and thin (mostly thin) I salute you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home