Friday, January 25, 2008

Groovy situation

The line up for the New Orleans Jazzfest has been published and there are some mouth watering names on the list. Probably the top one for me, and I guess for quite a few others, is the 'Duke of Earl' Gene Chandler who I have never seen perform live. In a way it was Gene who re-started my record collecting in a serious way. In 1986 I travelled to Vancouver for the Expo (with the Royal Ballet but that's another story). On a quiet day I thought I would travel to Seattle by Greyhound Bus, but the journey took so long that I decided to get off halfway in the town of Bellingham. Killing time I came across a record shop and bought a couple of LPs, one of which was Gene's The Girl Don't Care from his Brunswick period. So thank you Gene, for inspiring me to get into vinyl seriously. I will definitely have to add an extra day to my stay in New Orleans to see him on May 1.
I won't be able to go to Jazzfest every day, but there's plenty to see and hear on the three days I plan to be there. For example on the first Saturday there's a reprise of some of the best acts from past Ponderosa Stomps, including Tami Lynn, Archie Bell, Roy Head and Dennis Binder, Big Jay McNeely, Warren Storm, plus Eddie Bo, Dr John, Patti Austin and Carol Fran among many others. The first Sunday is a total joy for soul fans, with not only Irma Thomas doing her customary set but Al Green as well, plus Allen Toussaint with Elvis Costello and Delbert McClinton. And on Gene Chandler day we also have Bettye Lavette among many others. It's looking good and for full details check out http://www.nojazzfest.com/

2 Comments:

At 10:09 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is updated well ...

Congratulations,
Ric Sergio
Make a Difference!
Http://facaadiferenca.blogspot.com

 
At 7:39 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prediction. Bettye LaVette is the act every critic will be talking about. She's the ONE!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home