Friday, February 23, 2007

Walking to New Orleans

Well I've taken the plunge and booked my flights to New Orleans. I'm looking forward to seeing the city again - my first visit post-Katrina - and going to Jazzfest and the Ponderosa Stomp again. The Crescent City has produced such wonderful music over the years. It's hard to choose which are my favourite New Orleans tracks. But here, in no particular order of preference, are my top 40, based on selecting only one track per artist (an impossible job really in the case of Fats Domino and many others):
1. Lipstick traces - Benny Spellman; 2. Wish someone would care - Irma Thomas; 3. It will stand - The Showmen; 4. Mother in law - Ernie K-Doe; 5. I like it like that - Chris Kenner; 6. I know - Barbara George; 7. Tell it like it is - Aaron Neville; 8. But I do - Clarence Frogman Henry; 9, Mardi Gras in New Orleans - Professor Longhair; 10. Reconsider me - Johnny Adams; 11. Dinky doo - Eddie Bo; 12. Good rocking tonight - Roy Brown; 13. Iko Iko - Dixie Cups; 14. I'm in love again - Fats Domino; 15. Get out of my life woman - Lee Dorsey; 16. Right place wrong time - Dr John; 17. Sea cruise - Frankie Ford; 18. Things I used to do - Guitar Slim; 19. Nearer to you - Betty Harris; 20. Ooh poo pah doo - Jessie Hill; 21. Trick bag - Earl King; 22. I hear you knocking - Smiley Lewis; 23. You'll lose a good thing - Barbara Lynn; 24. Something on your mind - Bobby Marchan; 25. All these things - Art Neville; 26. Mardi Gras mambo - Hawketts; 27. Yellow moon - Neville Brothers; 28. Bare footin' - Robert Parker; 29. Just because - Lloyd Price; 30. Double eyed whammy - Tommy Ridgeley; 31. Something you got - Alvin Robinson; 32. Let the good times roll - Shirley & Lee; 33. High blood pressure - Huey Piano Smith; 34. From a whisper to a scream - Allen Toussaint; 35. Mr Big Stuff - Jean Knight; 36. I'm gonna be a wheel some day - Bobby Mitchell; 37. Lights out - Jerry Byrne; 38. Long tall Sally - Little Richard; 39. You talk too much - Joe Jones; 40. Carnival time - Al Johnson.
Suggested additions to the list are more than welcome, but I have to admit there are some fantastic tracks there. May New Orleans R & B live for ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home