Sunday, June 25, 2006

Miracles mystery + RIP TOTP

Can anyone answer a query for me? I have two copies of More love by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles on Tamla Motown TMG 614 released in 1967. The B-side of one is Come spy with me, while the other copy has Swept for you baby on the B side. The 2004 edition of the Rare Record Guide states that the version with Come spy with me was withdrawn, but the 2006 edition says that it was the Swept for you baby version that was withdrawn. Which is correct - and why was it withdrawn?
Meanwhile it's RIP to TOTP after 40 odd years. It's a long way from Jimmy Savile and Tony Blackburn to the show of recent years and I have no doubt that it has outlived its shelf life. Unlike early rock and roll shows like 6-5 Special, Oh Boy and Ready Steady Go I somehow doubt that Top of The Pops will be remembered as ground breaking. Back in the days of Pan's People it was required viewing, if somewhat predictable, but now it looks dated and I guess it just went on too long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home