Monday, May 08, 2006

Is this the end for Fats?

Fats Domino's finale at the New Orleans Jazzfest yesterday failed to materialise as he cancelled saying he was unwell. The great man did in fact go to the Fairgrounds to apologise for not appearing, but his no-show could spell the end of his career as a live performer. At the age of 78 he has gone through a lot in the last year, having been rescued from his flooded home following Katrina. But if this really is the end then this truly is Blue Monday. Fats has been part of my life ever since my sister brought home his early 78s back in 1956. I was hooked the moment I heard Blueberry Hill, My blue heaven, Rosalie, Blue Monday and the rest, and it was Fats who above all made me determined to visit New Orleans at some point in my life. I first went in 1989 and have been back many times since and the highlight of any visit to Jazzfest is when Fats is performing. He is more than a legend - he represents everything that was great about the Big Easy, pre-Katrina. His music will last forever. I hope that I will see him perform again. He's still the greatest.
http://www.nola.com/lagniappe/t-p/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-1/114706851498700.xml

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home