Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Bobby Moore dead...

No, not the man who lifted the World Cup in 1966, but the man behind the scorching soul of Searching for my love in the same year with his band the Rhythm Aces. Recorded at Fame studios in Muscle Shoals, Searching for my love was an absolute classic, yet never dented the charts in the UK. Bobby died last week in Montgomery, Alabama, where he formed his group in 1961, after originally leading a band of the same name while in the army in Fort Benning, Georgia in 1952. Before he hit with 'Searching' the Rhythm Aces played for many soul stars of the day, including Etta James, Kim Weston (don't miss her at the Jazz Cafe on Thursday), Mitty Collier, Wilson Pickett, Sam Cooke and Otis Redding. The band's only LP (to my knowledge) was released on Checker (Chess in the UK) and featured 12 self penned tracks: Searching for my love, Mr Starlight, Follow me, The hamburger song, Hey Mr DJ (B side of the hit), When I get this feeling, We've got that, How can you do it baby, Alone, Jenny Jenny, I will never trust love again and Come back baby. A native of New Orleans, Bobby, 75, died of kidney failure, the Montgomery Advertiser reported.His son, Bobby Moore Jr., has been playing with his father's group for 40 years and told the newspaper he would continue to keep the name Bobby Moore alive."My father didn't just play R&B," he said. "He played jazz, rock, country, and I plan to carry on that legacy."
The younger Moore said one of his father's final performances was opening for country music's Alabama at a benefit for victims of Hurricane Katrina. Thanks to Dave Carroll for alerting me to the news of Bobby's death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home